Are You Following?

Follow MelissaStramel on Twitter Follow Lilac Lane Patterns on Facebook Follow Me on Pinteresthttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sOa2LFjNuFo/UPIu-4kq73I/AAAAAAAAGeg/uZQ00cPdMxs/s1600/blogpinterest.png Instagram

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Introducing the All Dolled Up Tote

I'm so excited to show you my sixth, yes sixth!, pattern to be published. Just out today, it's the All Dolled Up Tote. This may be my favorite pattern to date because, well, it was so necessary around here. You see, my daughters wanted the American Girl doll holder bags for Christmas. First I looked at them and they looked pretty flimsy. Then I read the reviews, which were TERRIBLE. And I thought, "I can do better than that." So I thought it out for a few months. Honestly, I did. Exactly what would I want to carry in a bag like this if I was a little girl? So I put a really cool three-dimensional pocket on the front for doll gear. On the back is a huge back pocket that holds books. Mostly because my kids love to travel with their dolls and we always have both reading and coloring books too. Finally, I put a "secret" inside zipper pocket on the interior. That's so they can feel like they're being really sneaky by bringing along a little something in there.

I also made two dividers to hold the dolls. But I wanted to make them removable in case you (or the child) ever need a plain tote bag. And a nice tote bag it is! It's super sturdy since it's stabilized with Peltex. So you're probably waiting for pictures, right? We really had fun taking these.
 I was so happy to use Thomas Knauer's Pear Tree fabric. So perfect for this.

 Here's the bag and its inside dividers.

I'm so thankful to have produced another pattern. The biggest testimony to me is that all my friends have asked me to make bags for their daughters. And my daughters and my testers' daughters won't let the bags out of their sight.

Love,
xoxo

7 comments :

Ginny Marie said...

This pattern looks just adorable! My daughter only has one doll, but she would love this tote!

Mary Grace McNamara said...

uh oh, I was looking at this post with my 7 yr old Grace who loves her American Girl dolls looking over my shoulder! I think she wants me to make this bag for her! Too cute!

MGM

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Wow, those are cute bags...and it's a testiment to their quality when the girls won't let them out of their site :) :) :) Congrats on the new pattern, too :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

Mirja Marshall said...

How wonderful! I can't wait to make one for my niece.

jh said...

Man, my daughters would love these! If only I were that creative... :)

Jeremy

Marilyn Vap said...

I have made 4 of these bags for my granddaughters and will be making more. They really like them. Very cute. I have one problem with the pattern. The front pocket directions do not make sense to me. Looking at the directions and picture, the way you sew them looks like it will be flat. Other friends have read the directions and do not understand either. Can you elaborate on how you sewed it on? I have been sewing them on by hand. Thank you.

Melissa @Lilac Lane said...

OK for those of you having trouble with the front pocket, I have found this tutorial for a very similar one that I think will clear things up:
http://www.untrendylife.com/2012/11/how-to-make-3-d-pocket.html

If you still have questions, please comment with your e-mail address included so that I can help you more directly. xo, Melissa

Related Posts with Thumbnails