Are You Following?

Follow MelissaStramel on Twitter Follow Lilac Lane Patterns on Facebook Follow Me on Pinteresthttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sOa2LFjNuFo/UPIu-4kq73I/AAAAAAAAGeg/uZQ00cPdMxs/s1600/blogpinterest.png Instagram

Friday, December 30, 2011

Best Ever Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe

So yesterday, Nathan turned 8. I can't believe it either! Yes, he and my sister share a birthday, but I wasn't ready to share his yet. :)

So of course I made him a cake. Let me preface this by saying that I have been under the weather since Monday. Big, bad cold. So I put off the cake until yesterday and then I finally dragged myself to the grocery store. (we were literally out of everything -- bread, milk, frosting ingredients, you get the picture.) Thank goodness I bought two cake mixes because the first cake STUCK to the nonstick tractor pan. Of course I was out of that cooking spray that makes your food not stick, so I thought if I wiped a little oil around the nonstick pan, it would be alright. We're not talking a little stuck here, more like the bottom half of the cake came out and the rest is STILL IN THE PAN stuck.

Not wanting to return to the grocery store in my feeble state, I buttered and floured a 9 x 13 pan and made cake mix number two. Let me please say that I don't usually cook from a mix and I don't usually buy store bought frosting, so maybe some of that is at play. Anyway, cake number two stuck too! It came out of the pan in big clumps. Nathan was horrified. I picked up the pieces and stuffed them back into the pan because there was NO WAY I was making a third cake. So I got out the big container of store bought chocolate frosting and it totally did not cover the cake. Maybe half of it. Thank goodness I also bought loads of store bought decorator frosting. The spray can kind was sort of expensive and he wanted a green and yellow tractor, so I bought the spray can of green and the tube of yellow. Thinking that since they were both Betty Crocker that the tips that came with the green can would fit on the yellow tube. Well that would be too simple, wouldn't it? I had some real cake decorator tips that were way huge for the yellow frosting tube and forced the yellow stuff out through one and it backed out the back side as well. So.

If you're still reading, you probably want to see the cake. Well, it's at the bottom of this post if you REALLY want to see it. Please don't judge. In the meantime, here are the best ever peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.

1 1/2 cups peanut butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
2 sticks softened butter

Mix these really well. Add 1/2 cup milk. Mix.  Add: 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 3 1/2 cups flour. Mix. Then add in about 1 1/2 bags of Gheradelli chocolate chips. Bake each batch about 7 or 8 minutes, sometimes it takes a little longer at 375 degrees. I use a little scoop to make each cookie about the same size. It looks kind of like a mini ice cream scoop.

Oh, you're sticking around for the birthday? Well, ok.

 He's so fun.


Drumroll please . . . the cake:

Love,
xoxo

8 comments:

OneMommy said...

LOVE the expression on your son's face as he opens gifts! I'm going to pass the recipe on to my husband, the baker in the family. I love peanut butter and chocolate together...

Kathy said...

The cake looks perfect! It looks like a tractor going over a pasture. Great day. Hope you feel better soon.

Katy Cameron said...

Oh bless! I'm sure it tasted fab despite the traumas :o)

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

It looks great and I am sure the kids thought it tasted even better! Don't sweat the small stuff........I am sure no one else even noticed.

Fawn said...

I think the cake looks great! The cookies look better but the cake looks delicious. Maybe you should post a picture of what the slices look like once you cut into it :).

Betsy said...

What an awesome tractor!!! You made a great memory that will definatley be brought up at future birthdays. By the look on your son's face, it was a great birthday!!!

Regina said...

It looks wonderful -as my Mom always said 'you have to break it to eat it' - in your case you broke it, "glued" it and then ate it. The best ingredient was the love that went into it - and I bet he never forgets this cake! (my son is Nathan, too - he's 6)

Patty@Granma's said...

Oh, Melissa! And I'll bet you were in tears when it happened.
My cake story: I spent an entire Saturday baking and decorating, from scratch, a cake for my sister's birthday. Had it all done and sitting on the (edge of the)counter when my brother and sister came racing through the door, and bam! upside down on the kitchen floor!
We still laugh about it, although at the time there was more screaming and crying than anything else!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails