Are You Following?

Follow MelissaStramel on Twitter Follow Lilac Lane Patterns on Facebook Follow Me on Pinteresthttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sOa2LFjNuFo/UPIu-4kq73I/AAAAAAAAGeg/uZQ00cPdMxs/s1600/blogpinterest.png Instagram

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Tote for All Seasons

In Jen Eskridge's book, Deploy That Fabric, there is the cutest tote bag. It's about 14" square and just the right size for carrying crafts or books or anything else you need to tote around.
I believe this is the backside and the front is a big camo pocket panel.

Well, I didn't have any military uniforms here. And not even a pair of pants or a jacket I was willing to cut up. But I sure liked the idea of upcycling something . . . and then I remembered a pretty sweater I had been saving because a moth had gotten ahold of it.
 Having never worked with sweater material before, I decided to first fuse Dream Weave onto it. And then it really did sew like a dream. I'm not sure if that was the difference or if it would have been easy anyway, but it was very easy. (This really needs steamed to get those little wrinkles out.) I cut it so that the ribbing at the bottom of the sweater would become the top of the bag. Then I used my ballpoint needle (for stretchy fabrics) and a very slight zigzag everywhere I sewed the sweater. I added a flower pin, because you know I need a little bit of pink!
Here is the back. You can see the subtle stripe of the sweater, which goes nicely with the stripe of the cotton fabric. I'll probably miss the pockets, but I totally love this bag.

Don't forget to enter the giveaway to win your own copy of Deploy that Fabric!

Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near. Isaiah 55:6 NIV


Love,
xoxo

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Oooh fun. I love the idea of making a bag with sweater material. This is really clever.

Related Posts with Thumbnails