Are You Following?

Follow MelissaStramel on Twitter Follow Lilac Lane Patterns on Facebook Follow Me on Pinteresthttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sOa2LFjNuFo/UPIu-4kq73I/AAAAAAAAGeg/uZQ00cPdMxs/s1600/blogpinterest.png Instagram

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Deploy that Fabric Blog Tour Day 4

Welcome to the Deploy that Fabric Blog Tour Day 4! My friend, Jen Eskridge of Reanna Lily Designs wrote a book published by Stash Books. Isn't that awesome? Even better, she is sharing a copy of the book and a tote bag with one lucky commenter.

And here is the blog hop schedule:
Oct 1st Fat Quarter Shop
Oct 2nd Sew Mama Sew
Oct 3rd I Have A Notion (IHAN)
Oct 4th Lilac Lane  (you are here)
Oct 5th CampFollowerBags
Oct 6th Fat Quarterly
Oct 7th Tall Grass Prairie
Oct 8th My Bragg Bag
Oct 9th Quilt Dad
Oct 10th Quilt Story
Oct 11th Gen X Quilters
Oct 12th Amy’s Creative Side
Oct 13th Keepsake Quilting Blog
Oct 14th True-Up
In my opinion, the coolest thing about the book is how versatile it is. Of course, if you have military in your family, you will want to make these projects from the uniforms. But the patterns also translate easily to other fabrics, as Jen explains below. I'll share a project I made from the book tomorrow and I think you'll be surprised at how different it can look just by using different materials. 23 (!!!) projects are included in the book. They vary from quilts to bags and wallets and even a Christmas stocking. Here's my interview with Jen:

1. Tell me about ReannaLily Designs.
My sewing pattern company is a little mix of everything. I have quilts and bags, even accessories patterns. Many of my patterns even include directions for sewing and working with a military uniform, in the event you'd like to incorporate that garment into what you are making. The company is just a couple months over 3 years old.

2. What in the world inspired you to write a book?
I wrote the book specifically to showcase military uniforms re-purposed into new designs. I sewed many commission projects throughout the years and realized, although many people sew commissioned bags/quilts with uniforms, there were no patterns specifically targeted to this style. I thought it's be a good way to give people a pattern collection all in one place. One really cool thing about the 23 book patterns is that we've provided yardage requirements OR uniform requirements, so every project and be constructed with or without an actual uniform.


3. What motivates you the most?
I think my "need to create to preserve sanity" is the most motivating factor for me. Whether its a pattern, a uniform project design or something for me to sew and keep at home, I just really like to be creating things. Sitting still just really isn't an option for me.

4. How long have you been sewing?
I've been sewing for about 26 years and quilting for about 18 or so. My mom taught me to sew pillows, then I dabbled in sewing clothes in high school. Those clothes... well, they didn't turn out awesome. I made my first quilt my sophomore/jr year of high school.

5. What is your favorite sewing tool?
Can I shamelessly plug my Seamingly Accurate Seam Guide tool here? =) I really love its multiple uses in quilting, garment and home dec sewing. BUT if I had to pick another tool... I don't think I'd get by without the turning tool. It is a thin wire with a hook on one end and a circle on the other end. It allows you to turn spaghetti strap sized tubes right side out. Great for bag handles, appliqued vines, actual spaghetti straps, making matching "ribbon" ... I love that thing.

6. What is your studio like?
I just recently opened my home to the local quilt guild (800 members) and hosted a quilt room tour. The room is bright and light blue with inspiration work all over the walls. My fabric is housed by color in 18 little cubbies from Target and I have window in the room that overlooks our culdesac. You can actually take the virtual tour here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vmKfJLYZYc

7. How do you have time to do everything that you do?
Mostly I can get things done because all 3 kids are now in school. They are 11, 9 and 6. I also keeps lots of lists and go "to work" in the studio or on the computer for about 6 hours a day- depending on the day.

8. You have been in hoardes of magainzes, have your own pattern line and now have a book! Do you have any future plans or goals?
I'm working on my second book right now (releasing next fall or late summer) and am releasing two new patterns (one bag and one qulit) & relaunching my Seamingly Accurate at this year's Fall Houston Quilt Market. This will be my first year to have my own booth at market, so please stop by and say HI at #2048, right by C&T Publishing.

Thank you Jen!

To enter the drawing for your own copy of Deploy that Fabric and the matching tote, just leave a comment below. Enter by Friday, October 7 at midnight CST. A winner will be randomly drawn on Saturday.
Love,
xoxo

33 comments:

Martina said...

Thanks so much for introducing. Sounds great! And thanks for the chance to win!

Quilter in the Gap said...

This book sounds incredibly interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Deanna said...

The book looks great! I wish her well in her endeavors.

AngieSue said...

The uniforms in the basement are getting cut up TODAY! Thanks for the inspiration.

Jenny said...

sounds like a great book!

Jen said...

I enjoyed the studio tour! I love seeing other people's creative spaces!

Caroline said...

Cool book! I've never quite known what to do with the camos my brother has! I do now! Thanks for the chance!

Deb said...

I haven't had military in our family, but I'd enjoy the book to use the patterns with other fabrics.

gill said...

This looks a great book - I'd love to win a copy!

Kathy said...

Thanks for the chance to win Deploy That Fabric!

Molly said...

Looks like a great book...I love
Jen's designs!

Corinne said...

Oh my goodness! I just took a look at the picture of the tote bag. Why didn't I realize that bag was in Jen's book about 2 months ago (I've looked at the book cover a zillion times)?? I had to make my daughter a new bag for college and it would have been perfect. Oh well, next time!

Lisa Marie said...

So, I looked the book over and I kind of totally dig it.
The use of uniforms is awesome and unique (to me) and was impressed there was a Coast Guard patch included (they always get left out!).
With or without the use of uniforms the projects are cute!

Carla G said...

What a great looking book! I'd love to win a copy! Thanks for the great interview! :)

Beth said...

Thanks for the chance to win this book. My brother just finished boot camp; I'm sure I could find a great pattern in here to commemorate that.

wordygirl at earthlink dot net

Busy Quilting Mama said...

The projects look like fun to make. I would like to make some of the for my sister. Her husband just left the military.

Sheila said...

A great idea, and lots of fun! Count me in....thanks for participating!

Cheryl Greenleaf said...

Loved the interview and just had to go check out the Seamingly Accurate Seam Guide tool. Another tool to add to my wish list.

Thank you for hosting this blog hop giveaway.
cgreenleaf2(at)gmail(dot)com

Kylie said...

These are amazing I love how girly she was able to make the uniform bag. I never would have been able to imagine it. Thank you for introducing such a wonderful book. kcarlson1152[at]hotmail.com

Marcia W. said...

I know this will be a useful book. I receive her newsletter too. Thanks for the interesting interview and book review.

Jennifer Gail said...

Looks interesting. thanks

Unknown said...

I have a uniform from my brother-in-law that he wore in Iraq and gave me when he retired from the Army a couple of years ago. I would love to see ways I could use it to make a gift for him. Love those little feet peeking out from under the quilt!

Lexi said...

The book looks wonderful, I would love to win a copy. Thanks for the opportunity, lexilucas@gmail.com

Pat V. said...

Thanks for highlighting this book. I would love to give some of these patterns a try!

JoyceLM said...

Would love to win a copy of the book and the gorgeous tote bag. Thanks for the giveaway.

Mom C said...

Thanks for hosting. Loved the youtube tour.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

This looks like a wonderful book! I have enjoyed seeing all the different projects so far.

mblittle5 said...

I love those bags!

Robin said...

I love this book and the idea of using my hubby's old uniforms to make useful bags and quilts! Thanks for the chance to win it!

Nanbon44 said...

what a great book, love totes and purses

Kathy H said...

Thanks for sharing about this new book. I know a few people in the military or former military and it would be great to make something special for the. Thanks for the chance to win the book.

Karen said...

Thanks for the chance to win. I enjoy using upcycled pieces in my projects and you did a great job with your tote.

hueisei said...

Thanks for the chance to win. I loves making bag...

Related Posts with Thumbnails