Are You Following?

Follow MelissaStramel on Twitter Follow Lilac Lane Patterns on Facebook Follow Me on Pinteresthttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sOa2LFjNuFo/UPIu-4kq73I/AAAAAAAAGeg/uZQ00cPdMxs/s1600/blogpinterest.png Instagram

Friday, February 18, 2011

String Me Along

I'm in major cleanout mode. I'm going through all my scrap baskets. There are even more than in the picture -- one for each color. And I'm only saving pieces that are big enough to at least make doll clothes from.

 The rest are going into another basket for a string quilt. I've wanted to make one for some time now and finally got started. I have an emotional attachment to a lot of these little pieces. Oh, I remember making Anna a dress from this or Nathan a little bag from that. It will be nice to have them all in one place. Although I probably have enough "strings" for 4 or 5 quilts. No joke. How about you? Do you cling to fabric? Do you form attachments to it?
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Love,
xoxo

7 comments:

Jenny said...

are you using a foundation melissa, or just sewing the strings? i am just as you...clinging to fabric, yet recognizing i have TOO MUCH and feel a serious purge coming up!

notes of sincerity said...

Hi Melissa. :o)
I love the scripture that you posted! What a wonderful reminder! :o)
I do get attached to fabrics that have sentimental meanings. And have enjoyed pulling plaid (100% cotton) work shirts of my husbands into quilts. :o)
Your string quilt blocks are so pretty!
I hope you have a nice weekend.
Sincerely, Trish

Sabra said...

Oh! i love string quilts! and I love quilts that have memories attached. this will be amazing when you're done. I don't keep very small scraps, since I don't quilt or make doll clothes. Unless it's fabric I really love, then I'll hang onto it.

Regina said...

I've done some strings and some other projects with 2" squares - I cut scraps down to 1.5" and then strips for strings or wrapped clothesline.

I agree with you about the "attachment" and the memories that even those little bitty pieces can evoke!

Needled Mom said...

That will make an awesome string quilt. The memories will be there for years to enjoy.

Bolo heads said...

I have just this week started using my scraps. I don't know what size I should save. Now I feel guilty tossing the "strings". I found this tutorial http://fredashive.blogspot.com/2011/02/scraptacular-tutorial-for-family.html and that is what I am saving them for. I also was cutting down pieces for a ticker tape quilt.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Unless i really dislike the fabric, I save every little scrap. A string quilt is one of the quilts I want to make someday. =) Yours is beautiful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails