Are You Following?

Follow MelissaStramel on Twitter Follow Lilac Lane Patterns on Facebook Follow Me on Pinteresthttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sOa2LFjNuFo/UPIu-4kq73I/AAAAAAAAGeg/uZQ00cPdMxs/s1600/blogpinterest.png Instagram

Monday, February 28, 2011

Hard Hat Time

Well . . . not quite. Did you know that I like to build? And when I can combine sewing and building, it's just bliss. I recently discovered the world of Ana White. She has step-by-step instructions for hundreds of building projects. Now in full disclosure, my husband and I built most of our house. But mostly my husband. I was pretty busy having kids!

I also built this doghouse about five years ago (still standing!):

And finished our basement on my own: (my husband's Christmas present two years ago, also still standing)
Here's what it looked like when I started:
Okay, that's sideways, but you get the idea. I did have help with the sheetrock, but I did all the woodwork and carpeting and everything else.
 
This is getting a little long. Back to the present, I'm saying that I have a little experience and access to a lot of tools. Although I'm a little scared of most power saws and my favorite by far is the jigsaw. I bought this beautiful antique bed about ten years ago. But when I got it home, I found out it's an odd size, called a 3/4 bed. My full-sized mattress was about two inches too big to fit it. So I've had this beautiful bed just sitting around for years. When I saw this tutorial of Ana's, it just clicked!
 



I'm sorry for this very long post and I hope you made it to the end to see the beautiful pictures. I'm so pleased with this bench/couch/bed and I'll be showing more woodworking projects too as it's almost spring and I find I can't stay in the house all the time when it's nice outside! And I have a much bigger woodworking project going on that this is part of.

For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. - 2 Timothy 1:7


Love,
xoxo

12 comments :

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

You are way talented, girl!! I'm very impressed.

The new bed is a brilliant idea!

Bailey said...

I'm impressed! Cute bed idea.

KayC. said...

It is so cute! I love it and thanks for sharing all your talents with us. I don't think that I would be brave enough to tackle a basement or your bed/bench. But I do have a husband who sees my vision then builds it...our kids always joke that give it a day or two and it will be done for Mom by Dad. ;-)

Tammy said...

Some people just know how to do everything...you are so talented, I wish I had a fraction of that! Thanks for sharing!

grammy and papi said...

Cute, the bed and the girl!! Wish I was brave enough to try something like that, just not a tool gal, but maybe I can talk Papi into doing it for me. That's a great thought.

Have a God Filled Day
Shirley

Kathryn said...

What a talent! Wood, fabric, paper - you do it all. Kathie L in Allentown

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Wow, Melissa, you've got some skills :) :) i LOVE that little dog house. It's so cute,...and of Anne shirley from Anne of Green Gables had a dog, this would be it's house :) ): The basement is fabulous...but when I saw what you did with the bed, wow!!!!! That's fabulous!!!! I LOVE that...so creative. I noticed your red pillows there, too :) Cool!! Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Jenny said...

well you are certainly a Jane of all Trades!! is that a crib mattress? such great use of your material Melissa!

Sue SA said...

Go girl, having carpentary skills is a real bonus! My rotary cutter scares the life out of me, so power tools (except the sander) I avoid at all costs! Cute bed, I got my Dad to make me something similar but out of wrought iron bed end/head and he put a back on it so we use it as a couch.
So does this mean that you ahve a really well organised sewing room with purpose built bookshelves and fabric draws? We would love to see them if you do!
Happy quilting Sue SA.

Lisa Marie said...

I have never seen your basement!
And YAY!!! The bed looks fantastic. I never realized you BUILD, build. :)

Sabra said...

Whoah, wait, what!?!? you finished a basement on your own!?!?! Holy cow, Melissa, that is incredible!!

And just so you know how impressed I am, here are a few more exclamation points !!!!!!

The bed is beautiful. So impressed.

Amanda Leonard said...

What a great way to use that head board. Good job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails