Are You Following?

Follow MelissaStramel on Twitter Follow Lilac Lane Patterns on Facebook Follow Me on Pinteresthttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sOa2LFjNuFo/UPIu-4kq73I/AAAAAAAAGeg/uZQ00cPdMxs/s1600/blogpinterest.png Instagram

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Quilt Label Tutorial

Do you label your quilts? I never have. But then this post from Julie of Jaybird Quilts got me thinking. In 100 years if one of my quilts is still around, no one will ever know I made it. That sort of makes me sad. She suggests printing labels from Spoonflower because you can get about a jillion of them from a yard of fabric. Oh, you don't know what Spoonflower is? It's a digital fabric printing company. They will print anything you upload onto their site. It's pricey for fabric, but you would get a lot of labels. And a really unique look. So maybe. I'm thinking about it.

In the meantime, I'm going to a quilt show in Wray, Colorado Saturday. (Come join me! I went last year and it was fabulous.) And I have a few entries, so I thought I REALLY should label them.

So here is an easy peasy tutorial.

1. Cut a 5 inch square from white or muslin or something your writing will show up on .

2. Press 1/4" all around the block.

3. Cut a 6 1/2 inch square from a fabric which coordinates with your quilt.

4. Center the 5" square on the 6 1/2" square and sew around all four sides.

5. Now press 1/4" all around the 6 1/2" block.

6. Write all your info with a special permanent quilt market available in quilt shops.

7. Whipstitch this by hand to the quilt.

Done! Of course you can probably figure out how to do this just by looking at mine, but maybe this will inspire you to label your quilts. Let me know!

Oh and come see me in Wray.

Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

Love,
xoxo

6 comments :

Needled Mom said...

Great idea. Thanks for posting it.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I don't label all of my quilts, but the ones I give as gifts I do. I print my labels using my ink jet printer.

Here is where I got the idea: http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/imagefabric.html

Lisa Marie said...

I don't typically label my quilts unless they serve a rather large purpose. (The quilt, not the label!) I do embroider labels though, or print them on printable fabric on my printer. Only because a fabric marker is one less thing I have to keep track of!

Lisa Marie said...

Oh, oh! PS - Will you do me a favor and take pictures at the show? I know I quilted at least two of the quilts that will be in it. It would be fun to see them hanging in a show, since I can't seem to get any of my *own* stinkin' quilts quilted for show! =]

Chris said...

My mama has labeled all the quilts she's made for my babies. I love it. Thanks for sharing your tutorial.

Stacy (S.E.W.Butterfly) said...

When I first started quilting a year ago, I did not label my quilts. Now, I do. Thanks for sharing so that new quilters will know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails