Are You Following?

Follow MelissaStramel on Twitter Follow Lilac Lane Patterns on Facebook Follow Me on Pinteresthttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sOa2LFjNuFo/UPIu-4kq73I/AAAAAAAAGeg/uZQ00cPdMxs/s1600/blogpinterest.png Instagram

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

a Sassy Easter Skirt


In anticipation of Easter, I made myself this skirt, based on this dress by Leisel of Brown Paper Packages. I Just Love That Dress! I'll be the first to admit that I may be pushing the age limit on this design, but I just fell in love with it. No pattern, just took a skirt that fits me well and cut around it. Added a zipper, lots of (pleats? darts?) and then a ruffly underlayer of nylon chiffon. Voila! I love it! I'll be springy for Easter. (Yes, my legs are that skinny. Didn't photoshop them or anything. It's the layer between tummy and thighs that "rounds" me out.)

In other news, it did not snow the other day. In fact, today it is 80. Todd says I heard the forecast wrong. Turns out I probably did.

Oh yeah! Do none of you bake bread? Because I have gotton NO RECIPES! My sis says I'm too domestic. Back when Martha was popular, I was often called the "nice Martha Stewart." We do have the same initials. But really, send me your recipes. I would love to feature you. We'll try anything. Someone mentioned pumpkin bread -- yummy! So the recipe of the week is this from Bob's Red Mill. It's an oatmeal, wholegrain, molasses bread and it turned out great. Here's what I changed: didn't have garbonzo bean flour, so I substituted 2 cups barley flour, 1 cup brown rice flour and then used 5 cups whole wheat flour. It sounds heavy, but is amazingly light and very moist. Not too sweet either and not too molassesy. I also added 1/4 cup of the gluten I always use to make it rise better and it did really well. Sorry I never have bread pics, but my family is always hovering around the oven waiting to take the first slice.

Here's one last picture of me in my skirt. Did I mention I love it? It's for all of you who are always bemoaning me for cutting off my face. There I am -- see? Could use a tan.



For surely I am with you always, even to the end of the ages. Matthew 28:20 (I had that inscribed on the inside of my husband's wedding ring back in the day.)

Love,
xoxo

8 comments :

Erin said...

love the skirt! you look great in it! and I am jealous of the weather - as I type this, there is snow flying outside my windows. And yes, I do love Buttercuppity... she's still about 600 miles from me. But I think I need to make a pilgrimage there some day! I sent you 3 bread recipes. Let me know if you want more... I have a ton of them! And I have a bunch of recipes for the bread machine if you have one of those, too.

Sew Pretty Dresses said...

You look so pretty! I have been wanting to do the SAME thing in a skirt! Same thing! And you have amazing legs. Mine are all scarred up from random things. But I still wear skirts. Don't care! Oh and I am 39 and I would so wear that skirt, you are not pushing the age limit at all, or if you are, I will join you! lol! Great fabric too, love the roses. Where did you find it? I will dig out a good bread recipe. I LOVE to cook so I know I have quite a few good ones.

LB3K said...

That is so cute! Thanks so much for sharing. And I agree with Erin, I am jealous of the weather. It snowed here today, too! Ahhhh!

Lisa Marie said...

I love this. Loooooove it. The fabric is perfect for an Easter skirt! How fun.

Emily said...

Bob's has a fabulous bran muffin recipe, too! Love them. The kids will even eat them. Try this no-knead bread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU
Awesome!

Tonya's Sewing Room said...

love that skirt, and since I have Celiac disease I love Bob's Red Mill, lots of gluten free food.

Mama Lusco said...

Adorable and you totally rock it! I would wear it, too, if I had legs like that :) I just added my favorite roll recipe to the bread post. Hope you enjoy it and your skirt will be great on Easter!

Jenny said...

you wear it well Melissa!
it looks great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails